The Democratic party of California has, according to Think Progress, publicized its own proposal for gun regulation, a 10-point proposal that strikes me as being simple, civilized and do-able. Really. A quick run-down of the 10-points looks like this:
1. Ban all semi-automatic rifles that accept detachable magazines.
2. Ban possession of high-capacity magazines.
3. Ban “bullet button” conversion kits.
4. Bans shotgun-rifle combinations.
5. Universal registration of all guns.
6. Background checks on ammunition.
7. Regulating gun loans.
8. Prevent prohibited individuals from living in homes with guns.
9. Cracking down on people who can’t own guns legally but do anyway.
10. Required safety training for handgun owners.
Listen. We built an entire, bulky, costly, inefficient Department of Homeland Security as a response to the deaths of 3,000 people at the hands of terrorists in 2001, not to mention two costly wars, new rules for air travelers...
Guns kill one helluva lot more people in the US, year after year, than "terrorists" do. Do we need to have any further discussion? I don't think so. I think the California Democratic party has nailed it and only extremists would balk at gun regulations that make our life safer and cause sane, adult gun owners only some inconvenience.
The Second Amendment? Written by people who'd never seen, owned, or dreamed of the weapons and ammunition cited above.